Firefox Tab Problems

I’m not sure what’s happened but the tabs in my firefox have gone loopy 🙁

I rarely shut my laptop down, and simply put it on standby, so Firefox doesn’t reboot often. However the other day I did for some reason, and since reopening firefox, something’s changed to affect the tabs. Before, I used to double click to the right of the last opened tab and it would open a new one. However now I do that, it opens two tabs.

I ran through my tab settings yesterday and couldn’t see anything that would be doing this or could prevent this from happening. However now, since checking my settings, all external links that should open in a new tab (eg. in a forum or Google reader) are all opening in the same window.

Now I’ve had this before in Firefox on another laptop so there’s clearly some settings for it but I don’t know what.

If anyone’s got any ideas I’d love to hear them.

For the record I only have the default Firefox tab options for tabs. All my other extensions are non-tab related.

Well I’m halfway there. One suggestion has been to disable the tab browser preferences extension I had (which I thought was part of Firefox!), so this has gone and it’s cured the duplicate tab issue. However my external links are still opening in the same window 🙁

2. Mr.I says:

I am also having some problems with tabs. After 3 to 5 minutes of opening firefox, tabs just do not switch. I keep clicking on them but nothing happens. If someone has solution, please reply.

Sounds like one of your extensions may be interfering? Try disabling anything associated with tabs first, then if that doesn’t work disable your other extensions. If it works with no extensions enabled you’ll have to enable one at a time to see which one causes the problem.

Alternatively try Firefox 3, still in Beta but I’ve been using it for a few months now without any problems at all (I run the portable version as opposed to the fully installed version, from Portableapps.com)

4. Mr.I says:

Thanks for reply. It worked! I disabled 4 extensions and changed skin. It has done the job. Thanks for advice. This problem had made my surfing experience worst than hell for 2 days. Thanks again. 🙂

5. Mr.I says:

I forgot to question one thing.
    How did you manage to reply so quickly?

No problem. I replied quickly as I get an instant email of your comment 🙂

7. Eric says:

Lately my tabs have not been functioning properly; if I have more than one tab open and begin a search or click a link the task either takes an extremely long time to complete or never completes at all. The really odd thing is that if, while I’m waiting for the task to complete, I click on any one of the other tabs the the tab I’m waiting for will almost instantly connect. For example: With multiple tabs open; click…begin searching topic….wait while Firefox thinks about it…nothing happens…waiting…waiting…nothing happening…click on any one of my other tabs so that the screen changes to that tab…PRESTO! the tab I was waiting for almost instantly (2-3 seconds) completes it’s task….switch back to the tab I was waiting for and continue. This is a constant and continuous condition.

Hi Eric, it sounds like it could be a conflict with an extension. Have you tried disabling all of your extensions and then see if it happens. If it doesn’t then re-enable them one by one and keep testing until you can narrow down the culprit.

9. Eric says:

I wish it was that simple Sarah. Yes, I tried disabling extensions but it had no effect. I also tried the same thing with my plugins. I actually thought I might have fixed the problem with an update to Java because things ran smoothly for a few hours but then, for whatever reason, it’s back to the same problem again. I’ve also run my Spyware and virus scans and all the usual disk clean up and defrag programs. One thing I didn’t mention is that I am on Clearwire wireless broadband but I have good strong signal.

I’ll keep plugging away at it. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Sorry to hear that Eric. The only other option I can think of is to download a copy of the portable version of Firefox from http://www.portableapps.com. First try running it without adding anything to it and see how that runs. Perhaps put it on a pen drive or something. If it has problems on your computer like your standard FF then try running it on a second computer if you can and see how it fares on that.

If it’s fine on either, then copy over your profile contents from your installed version to the portable version, and see how that goes. Again, check it on a second computer if yours still has issues.

Then maybe you can determine where the problem is ie. Firefox, extensions or something else on your computer, and possibly narrow down the investigation.

11. Eric says:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a new laptop coming that I can use for a control computer. I’ll try the DL when the laptop arrives and let you know how it went. Thanks for all your help Sarah, you’re the best!

Hope you find the reason for the problem. Keep us updated, and enjoy your new laptop!

13. John says:

Wanted to thank you for the help on this blog. Was having weird problems with my tabs and was making it hard to view web sites. Thank you

14. Bethany says:

I also wanted to thank you for posting this blog. I was having a lot of problems with my Firefox tabs as well. When I’d click to open a link into another tab, the tab wouldn’t load until I actually clicked on the tab myself. It was really annoying, especially because this only happened on my desktop PC, not my laptop. Thank you so much for the help! 🙂

15. Alexis says:

Thanks for the suggestion. I disabled all my extensions, reenabled one by one and found that Google toolbar was the one causing the problem.

16. Pfred says:

For some strange reason, when I upgraded to Firefox 3.x, my opened tabs began to duplicate whenever I opened or changed my current tab to my home page (which is set to Google).

Any idea of why?

You need to turn off your extensions, see if it still does it. If it does then your install has gone wrong and you can try fixing it. If the problem stops then activate each extension one at a time and check it. Probably one fo the extensions is conflicting and causing the problem.

17. Brian says:

I had trouble not being able to open tabs. Taking Sarah’s advice I narrowed it down to the AVG Security Tool Bar extension. Just so the non-techy knows, extensions can be found on the Tools menu, then Add-Ons, then click Extensions in the now opened dialogue box.

18. ponsfrilus says:

I have the problem too:

Firefox version 3.6.8
    Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical – 1.0
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100723 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.8
    Delicious Bookmarks version 2.1.102

Disabling Delicious Bookmarks works for me.

19. stav says:

For everyone who has the problem with Unresponsive script-and then ‘group your tabs’ not working i

found the problem at least for me.
    Lets start for some basics : when you open any program automatically opens to the processes (ctrl+alt

+delete).
    ___
    Now for firefox if you have multiple tabs and just close your firefox and then reopen it a message will

appear says that the current process already exist wait for responding and something like that.If you

close it from processes (ctrl+alt+del-right click end process) and DONT let it save the changes it will

cause the problem.

so if this happens 1/just wait or 2/ restart your computer.

If you already have this problem i cant do something but :

this happens to me i have about 1000 tabs and 10 groups the good part was that i had saved all the tabs

before in a different location and then i just copy paste the folder and all was done.

To save your tabs you only need to write on my computer adress %appdata% find the folder called Mozilla

, inside this folder there are several files that files are yout tabs so once in a while if you got

multiple tabs and dont wanna lose them just save this folder in a different location.

so

i hope this helps and sorry for my bad english.