Moving and Estate Agent Sites

I got a call this evening off our landlady to inform us that her boyfriend was on his way to give us our notice. Long story clearly, we weren’t told much. Suffice to say he never appeared and she called soon after and it seemed that they’d been arguing, on the brink of splitting up etc. etc. So despite no one officially coming round to tell us to move out, I’m not about to sit here and get a bombshell dropped on me. Annoying to be honest as our housemate is moving out to live with his girlfriend and we had a few plans on reorganising the rooms and the house. Now of course that’s all out the window and instead I’ve just spent the last 3 hours looking at house and flat rentals. Luckily Lord of the Rings was on TV so I wasn’t really interested in that πŸ˜‰

I don’t know if it’s just the sites I happen to look at but 99% of the Estate Agent websites I look at are so badly designed it’s depressing. It’s bad enough having to look through them under the circumstances, but they are either something out of the 90s or has some really cheap bad flash animation as a splash page on them. I’ve set up a couple of estate agent sites in the past, and I know that they do all seem to like their flash! Thankfully there are sites like Right Move and Find A Property which are fairly okay when it comes to design so you rarely need to get to an actual Estate Agent’s site. Which is lucky, as these days when you search for “Area Estate Agents” the first 10+ results are for directories or accumulated sites (such as Right Move). On a search for “Wirral Letting Agents” I didn’t get one direct link to an actual estate agent! Perhaps this is the niche to get into for SEO? Estate Agents!

So, I’ve found a handful of places that we can afford and will hopefully be a reasonable enough size for us to live in. I’m going to have to say goodbye to my garden and almost everything in it πŸ™ Next job is to start looking round these places. Well that’ll be home number 31. Not bad eh, on average I’ve move more than once a year for my whole life… πŸ™

1. Jon says:

Hi Sarah
    Never rec’d it, maybe filtered???

I hoped you may see my reply! I’ve just tried again. See if it gets there.

3. Paul says:

Hi Sarah

Totally understand what you mean. I set up a site to bypass estate agents. However, most people currently still opt to use estate agents. I’d be interested on your thoughts on the concept.

Hi Paul, I’ve set up sites similar to yours for clients. They work providing they get known.

However with your site one thing I’d mention is your spammy links at the bottom of the front page. Having ‘Property Wirral’, ‘Property London’ etc. all at the bottom but all linked to the same page is a bit misleading and not fair to your visitors. If I was still looking for somewhere to live, that would put me off your site. If those links could link to actual searches for those areas then it would look a lot better from an accessibility and professional point of view.

Just a comment anyway πŸ™‚ Cheers for stopping by and good luck with the site.

5. Paul says:

Thanks for your feedback Sarah. Its much appreciated.

6. Jem says:

I searched for this post specifically just to say:

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

If I never have to deal with an our current estate/managing agent ever again, I will be happy.

That is all πŸ˜‰

Sounds like you’re having about as much fun as we are with dealing with our landlord?!

8. Ines says:

I’m sorry to hear what you guys go through – looks to me like an opportunity for good business.

Maybe I should more over there! πŸ™‚

Ines, come on over πŸ˜€ You can help me find a house to buy in the Autumn providing someone will give 2 self employed people a mortgage!

10. Ines says:

Don’t tell me you also have issues with mortgage brokers – Jeeesh!

Haha, not yet, but being self employed makes you less desirable as it’s not considered a steady wage. Still, that’s my assumption. I’ve not spoken to anyone about it yet, I’m waiting until the tax year is over πŸ™‚