Wireless Router Issues

So we’re back down at my parents for a couple of days and within minutes of booting up the computer the other day I was already getting frustrated over the poor wireless connection. I discovered last time I was here that the Wireless Modem/Router I bought last year is fine for the Modem but the wireless connection puts out about 50kb speed! Despite resetting it, it’s deteriorated back to how it was before. So the solution to this was to buy a new wireless router and just use the modem off the old unit.

Today I went into town and after seeing prices of Β£80+ for wireless routers, I finally found a Belkin G+ Wireless Router for Β£40. Bargain! The range is meant to be further too which means that the whole house should be covered by it now hopefully. I got back to the house and set to work setting up the new router, wires everywhere! After an hour I was getting pretty frustrated and fed up as it just didn’t want to work. I figured I’d do a hard reset and start from scratch again. Picking up the unit I noticed pen already on the reset button. The whole system had already been sold and returned in the past! So after dinner we drove back out to the shop (thankfully open until 8pm) and got it exchanged.

Take Two! I plugged everything in, within seconds it found the internet connection and worked instantly. Clearly the difference between a faulty unit and one that works! So now I’ve disabled the wireless broadcast on the old unit and just have the modem running on that, then connected that to the new router via a network cable and the new router is putting out the signal. So far so good. I’ve got a pretty strong connection where usually I would keep dropping it, which means I get to sit on the couch with my feet up instead of in the dining room, directly below the router πŸ˜€

1. goldfries says:

Β£40 is a bargain? hrmm.

For us (in Malaysia), Wireless routers cost at least RM 150 (that comes to less than Β£40).

a Linksys WRT54GL would cost slightly less than RM 240 (which is less than Β£40)

So yeah, you know what to buy if ever you visit.

My wife’s relatives from UK visit from time to time. In fact they just came over last week but I was too busy to meet up.

It’s a shopping haven for them. πŸ™‚

Ahh well, Β£40 is cheap here! This is the UK, land of the expensive! Shopping in Malaysia sounds like a good holiday πŸ˜‰

3. I don’t know the area in which your parents live but I hope you set a password to access the wireless connection. πŸ˜‰

Always Deron πŸ˜‰ Don’t worry, I’ve been running wireless networks for years.

But you’d be amazed (or maybe not) to see how many unencrypted networks there are around where I live.

5. Jem says:

Ooh, I don’t know Β£40 is probably max what I’d pay. My partner buys ours reconditioned for around Β£20. Never had a problem with them. We are cheap gits though.

6. Yeah, same as where I live. Out of the ten or so available, mine and one other are the only ones secured. People just don’t realize what they’re doing I guess.

Jem, I wouldn’t know where to go for a reconditioned one, but I agree, Β£40 is the max as Amazon does them for around Β£35-40 anyway. Still, this one seems to be working fine now (from what I’ve heard as I’m back home now).

Deron – I’ve often been tempted to wander around and offer a service to people to secure their connection! Would be quite a little money maker at first πŸ˜€

8. goldfries says:

Amazing. πŸ™‚ It’s pretty hard for me to find a non-encrypted network around.

People are getting wiser these days.

Most networks I come by uses WEP. I use WPA. πŸ™‚

I think half the british are just not technically minded, and unfortunately most the staff at the largest computer shop in this country (PC World) are not technically minded either!

These days people can pick up a cheap computer for less than Β£300, wireless is easy to plugin and ADSL is extremely affordable now. So everyone has it, but most of them don’t have a clue how best to use it!

10. That’s actually not a bad idea Sarah. I guess the problem would be finding out who the ones that did not secure their connection are. Maybe post a flyer around the neighborhood.

Deron, I figured that if you wondered around with say a PDA with wireless capability then as you get closer to the router the signal would grow stronger and just guess and knock on a few doors πŸ˜‰

Well you’ll get to meet the neighbours if nothing else! I guess a few flyers could do the trick. Drop them into people’s houses, point out that they’re responsible for what goes through their broadband and that could range from hacking to stuff much worse. Scare them into calling you! πŸ˜›

Yes I’m mean πŸ˜‰

12. goldfries says:

Let’s see if Sarah becomes a wardriver.

Once I was waiting for my girlfriend (now wife) that time so I got my notebook out and see if I could hook on to any signal. πŸ™‚

I managed get into someone’s router though, got connected, checked default gateway and logged in.

I emailed the person though, informing him / her of the lack of security and that was it.

Nah I wouldn’t drive around, besides the fact that I do the driving so I couldn’t have a laptop going at the same time! I’d just walk around with my PDA and see what it picks up πŸ˜€

The problem with a lot of people having unsecured routers, they’ve most likely not set their passwords from the default for the admin options either, so you could easily (and maliciously) change their settings.

I remember far too many businesses in London had unsecured networks. Still do most likely.

14. goldfries says:

Interesting, over in Malaysian shopping complexes – I could find A LOT of WiFi signals but the only one I could get through is are the free-WiFi services provided by the shopping complex management. πŸ˜€

The rest are secured with WEP at least.