Wireless Router Issues
So we’re back down at my parents for a couple of days and within minutes of booting up the computer the other day I was already getting frustrated over the poor wireless connection. I discovered last time I was here that the Wireless Modem/Router I bought last year is fine for the Modem but the wireless connection puts out about 50kb speed! Despite resetting it, it’s deteriorated back to how it was before. So the solution to this was to buy a new wireless router and just use the modem off the old unit.
Today I went into town and after seeing prices of £80+ for wireless routers, I finally found a Belkin G+ Wireless Router for £40. Bargain! The range is meant to be further too which means that the whole house should be covered by it now hopefully. I got back to the house and set to work setting up the new router, wires everywhere! After an hour I was getting pretty frustrated and fed up as it just didn’t want to work. I figured I’d do a hard reset and start from scratch again. Picking up the unit I noticed pen already on the reset button. The whole system had already been sold and returned in the past! So after dinner we drove back out to the shop (thankfully open until 8pm) and got it exchanged.
Take Two! I plugged everything in, within seconds it found the internet connection and worked instantly. Clearly the difference between a faulty unit and one that works! So now I’ve disabled the wireless broadcast on the old unit and just have the modem running on that, then connected that to the new router via a network cable and the new router is putting out the signal. So far so good. I’ve got a pretty strong connection where usually I would keep dropping it, which means I get to sit on the couch with my feet up instead of in the dining room, directly below the router 😀