SitePoint PHP Anthology Out

SitePoint have released the 2nd Edition of their PHP Anthology: Tips, Tricks and Hacks. Not that I can ever remember seeing a 1st Edition of this book (else it would have been on my bookshelves!). It looks to be a pretty good book, I’ve just grabbed the free chapters to have a look through.

For anyone who’s learnt the basics then this book is probably a good intermediate level book before stepping into the advanced stuff. The free chapters are available from their site and worth a look if nothing else. Alternatively it’s available at Amazon UK as well (although for once the SitePoint price is cheaper with the current exchange rate!).

Alternatively, on this SitePoint post you have a link where you can get $10 off the book, plus a free (usually $10) PHP Reference Poster. So that would be £20 for the lot including delivery. Ack it’s tempting…!

Update: The First Edition of this was the PHP Anthology Vol 1 and 2 – two books written by Harry Fuecks. SitePoint have now merged these two into one and brought on a load of new authors. I’m guessing it could be quite different in the way it’s written compared to the first edition, however I’d have to compare the sample chapters to the books I have. However, if you’ve learnt PHP and want to progress then it’s the best next step you could take 🙂

1. Erik Karey says:

I never heard of their first version either…I’m going to go over the free preview first to see what it’s all about.

I’ve seen a couple of people mention the first edition today so I guess there was one! The free chapters aren’t the first few unfortunately, however the contents read well.

Still it’s on my wish list for Christmas 😀

3. There was a first edition but it was split into two volumes. It was originally published back in 2004. For those who purchase the book we’d love to hear your feedback…

4. Will says:

I’ve a bunch of SitePoint books including the first in the PHP Anthology series.

Certainly worth getting if you like the SitePoint style.

Shayne, thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. After what you’ve said and what Will has just said I’ve now connected the dots (by checking on the PHP Anthology Vol 1 and 2 page, and realise that the previous ‘PHP Anthology Vol 1 and 2’ books relates to this new one.

I have these two already. I just didn’t connect these 2 with the new book (despite both being the PHP Anthology). I figured Tips, Tricks and Hacks was an intermediary version. Ahh well, never mind 🙂 It’s still worth buying for anyone who’s learnt the basics and needs to move on.

6. ses5909 says:

Mine was shipped yesterday so I’ll be checking it out soon.

7. Paul says:

Just Purchased it 😉

8. I like SP’s books. I need to get a better grasp of php though before I tackle this book. 🙂

This book is a lot more intense (although good) so a good grasp of the PHP basics is definitely needed. I’ll admit I’m (very) slowly making my way through it. Well actually I’ve not got much further than chapter 1! (and I’ve had the books for 18 months!)