Has Email Spam Erupted Today?

Today has been mad with email spam. I’ve had around 250-300 spam mails slip past Spam Assassin. Thankfully I run Mailwasher Pro on my computer so this picks up and colours all of my obvious spam in a very bright red and I can delete it off the server before downloading the one or two real emails.

Doesn’t seem I’m the only one noticing the spam today. Jason has also posted about it today, how his wife says it’s just the right size!

Usually I would set up various filters to help block obvious words within the subject or body of the emails, however I’m an unfortunate position in that one of my major clients sells (genuine) swiss watches and another runs Pharmacy recruitment! I guess I can’t really justify blocking ‘watches’, ‘rolex’ or ‘pharmacy’ from my incoming emails.

What frustrates me is that all this spam gets past the spam blockers, yet I tend to find my own emails get blocked on route to the recipient. Whether this is due to the mention of Web Development, or another obvious reason, who knows.

I think I’ll spend the weekend building a filter list blocking every russian character I can find šŸ˜› šŸ˜‰

1. Paul says:

I had 167 last night and thought it was down to the contact form I had on the site for about a hour, obviously it wasn’t though.

It seems to have quietened down again today. Guess the spammers were bored yesterday.

3. Will says:

Spam? What’s that then? šŸ˜‰

4. Jem says:

What score have you set Spam Assassin to? I set mine pretty tight (3) and since then my spam has been almost zilch. I also have *@mail.com blacklisted.

Don’t know if that helps you at all but its worth a shot šŸ™‚

Will, it’s this stuff that comes in a tin and James May off Top Gear seems to like it (never had it myself!).

Jem, I’ve not thought about dropping the spam assassin score. The spam reduced back to just a few after Friday, so not sure what happened on that day. I may block a few domains such as mail.com and see what else is in the mailwasher logs.

Cheers for reminding me šŸ™‚

6. JHS says:

Yup, I signed on and there was an ususully high number of spam e-mails in my Akismet folder. Don’t know what’s up. They were the list variety.

Hey JHS, this spam was more the standard email spam (not checked via Akismet), although if email spam erupted for the day I’m sure blog spam increased too!