New Year, New Theme

Well it’s not a new year now, but it is a new theme. It wasn’t long ago that I switched, however I’ve been wanting to do something new for a while. A few reasons:

1. The old theme was quite popular.
2. My sidebar looked quite messy.
3. I don’t have the space to rearrange furniture in this house so I’ll rearrange my designs instead πŸ˜‰

This theme is also quite popular but I’ve added and removed a few bits to hopefully make it a little less obvious. I would do one myself but let’s face it, I can’t design for toffee πŸ˜€ Plus I have enough to do in my day without the need for banging my head against a brickwall. So, this’ll last for a while.

Thanks to the fantastic Admin Theme Preview Plugin I’ve had this theme running for a week now, fixing the little issues, adding my own touch. Sure, you can install WordPress locally and get it sorted on that but nothing’s the same as when it’s on the actual site. I’ll be deploying this throughout the whole domain tomorrow or on the weekend, but if you do spot any issues let me know. I think I’ve fixed everything.

That aside, I’ve uploaded a few more Rome photos to Flickr, whilst I’m not religious the Cross has to be one of my favourite shots, backlit by the sun.

1. Chance says:

Thanks for the tip about the admin theme plugin- I’ve been changing my own theme this week and I’m sure its looked weird at times! I could have avoided it had I have known πŸ™‚

I like your new theme- its easy to read and clean πŸ™‚

2. Si Philp says:

I am actually torn between your old one and new one. Both are fresh, easy to read and both use space well. I was fond of the dual side bar to the right as it saved scrolling? :S

I am in the middle of a re-design and it’s a right pain. When I make the move or post up a preview i would be interested in what you think.

One thing I am encouraging just now πŸ˜‰

Cheers Chance. The admin plugin is very handy and just means less disruption to your visitors, or an alternative is if you just want to use a different theme to your visitors (for whatever reason!). I like the look of the new theme though πŸ™‚

Si, sure let me know once your preview is up. As for this design, well I started to find the double sidebar was a bit cluttered. I think the order of the sidebar, my stuff up top first, is a good order. Of course tastes are different and I will be getting around to adding a theme switcher so you’ll be welcome to change back if you want πŸ™‚

As for printable pages, my first job is to make it accessible to PDAs and mobiles. A printable option will come after that, for the time being just highlight what you want to print and print the selection πŸ˜‰

4. Chance says:

For making your blog easy to print I’d recommend the HP Blog Printing plugin available here:

You can see it in action on my blog if you like- the print posts button is in the top right corner. The cool thing about the HP plugin is that if you are on the index it automatically selects all posts to print, if you click on the print posts button from a specific post it defaults to selecting only that post to print, etc. Check it out, it does a pretty good job of making print formatted PDFs of your posts.

Cheers for the link Chance, but disable JavaScript and it doesn’t work πŸ˜‰ (Yes call me pedantic!)

6. Sam says:

Ooh, I like this new theme, Sarah. Very clean and I find it much easier to navigate πŸ™‚

Thanks Sam, that’s what I was going for πŸ˜€

8. Jenny says:

it looks good πŸ™‚

Thanks Jenny πŸ™‚

10. Jem says:

Hmm, I like the new theme (not as much as the old one, but like it all the same). I have a couple of complaints (sorry!) though –

1) The line-hight seems awfully cramped? I have a thing for nicely spaced paragraphs though, so that might just be me being anal πŸ˜‰

2) The sidebar header colour is identical to the links and this confuses my teeny tiny brain into thinking they’re clickable.

I’ll stop whining now πŸ˜‰

Hey Jem, I’ll get a theme switcher in as soon as I have a chance! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for your points, I see what you mean about the line-height. I’ll look into that one, and can alter the h3 colour on the right. I should have changed these before as I’m the same, not a same fan of having non clickable text and links the same colour. Too busy getting my own bits into the theme I guess! πŸ˜€

Right Jem, heading colours are changed, and I’ve increased the line height for the paragraphs within the post to 1.4 just for you πŸ˜‰ (actually I started to notice the text looking a bit cramped the more I looked at it).