WordPress Plugin Update

I’ve finally had a chance to finish off what was my first WordPress plugin – What Others Are Saying. This went from just a basic PHP include file to my first plugin, and now, after much reading of the WordPress Codex, in particular the wpdb Class to interact with the database, the plugin is much improved, without the need for an additional text file, as everything is dealt with by the options table.

I’ve also written my WordPress standard readme.txt file for the plugin, and it’s been accepted into the WordPress Plugin Repository, I’m just still working out how to actually add it into the assigned folder! (I’m getting there slowly!).

Anyway, if you’ve used the plugin on your site then I recommend you upgrade to the latest version (1.3), and you can remove the cachetime.txt file that was needed before. The plugin file itself is smaller too, so that’s always a bonus.

I’ve also got another plugin halfway finished, used on a couple of sites running WordPress as a CMS, so once that’s finished I’ll be releasing that too πŸ™‚

1. Si Philp says:

Congratulations on getting your plugin in to the official wordpress repository. I am looking to revamp my podcast site which runs off wordpress so am thinking I need to download that bad boy πŸ™‚

Presume you’re feeling much better now?

2. Kate B says:

Maybe I missed it, but how is the order selected? As in, if I have ten blogs listed, does it check all ten and then display the five (or whatever number I’ve specified) most recent posts?

Cheers Si, let me know if you have any probs or suggestions πŸ™‚ Also, feeling much better now thanks. Still coughing a bit but 2 weeks later, finally getting over it!

Kate, you’re right. If you choose to display the latest posts then yes, it grabs the last post of each feed you’ve added under the blogroll, orders by the date and displays the newest X posts, depending on how many you’ve specified. Alternatively you can choose to display the last X posts randomly.

4. Jenny says:

Awesome. I’m gonna go upgrade it now.

Cheers Jenny, and just for an update, I’ve just installed WordPress 2.5 RC1 and the plugin appears to work fine on that too πŸ™‚

6. HB says:

I’d be interested to hear more of the plugin being used on wordpress CMS sites – could be very useful that.

Congrats on getting into the WordPress Plugin Repository!

Cheers HB. Not sure how much of interest my next plugin will be, however it’s almost finished. Got loads of things started and all coming to a finish round here, so keep your eyes peeled πŸ™‚