WordPress 2.5 Officially Released

After a few release candidates over the past week or so, WordPress 2.5 is now officially released.

So what’s new in this release? I had a play with the release candidate 1 when it came out and the first major difference I saw was the admin area, fresh new design and the menu all over the place. Once I upgraded my Admin Dropdown Menus which thankfully brought the menu items back into line, it wasn’t as bad. Am I happier with it? Not from the RC1 (I’ve not installed the new version yet, guess I should before moaning!). The admin look is okay although I prefer the classic design over the fresh one (you can switch between the two), however on the posting page everything’s been moved around and not for the better. The comments page looks better though, displaying gravatars.

They’ve incorporated a few plugins into 2.5, such as Gravatars, and looking on their latest post there’s also a gallery in there (I didn’t see that in RC1!). That’ll be interesting to see how good and flexible it is, very handy for CMS’s and blogs alike. It seems like most of the plugins should continue to work fine as there hasn’t been any major, if any, database changes. I know my plugins appear to work okay, although I’ll double check them on the final release.

I’ll be having more of a play locally on the new release, just to make sure everything looks okay, works fine, give it a day or two incase any major problem crops up in the WordPress camp etc. Then it’ll be time to deploy it to every blog and CMS based site running it!

1. Sam says:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I’m not sure I’ll upgrade just yet as I remember having a panic attack the last time I upgraded another WP install, thinking I was going to lose everything πŸ˜› I read the upgrade instructions within the WP 2.5 package and it wasn’t very detailed at all πŸ™

2. slee says:

im going to wait to allow all the plugin author to update. there have been a few changes so im sure some things will break. i dont like the new wordpress it feels like it’s not an improvement i just hope they get onto version 3 quick

Sam, upgrading is easy. Back up your database. Then I do the following

Delete wp-admin, upload the new wp-admin.
    Put up a blank index.html file into the root (to prevent any random visitor walking in on your upgrade).
    Delete all the root files associated with WP besides the wp-config.php file
    Delete the wp-includes folder
    Upload new wp-includes folder
    Upload the new root files
    Go to your wp-admin/upgrade.php address
    If it’s all okay, delete index.html

However waiting is a good idea. There’s only been bug testing for less than 2 weeks so give it another week or so to see how things pan out, just in case. And feel free to give me a shout if you get stuck πŸ™‚

Lee, most of the plugins should continue to work okay as apparently there haven’t been database changes as such, just additions. Mine appear to work fine although I’ve yet to test a couple of client ones. I’ll be installing it locally and checking everything over first before hitting a live site with it though πŸ™‚

I think the main let down is the new admin, but I’m going to start hunting out a decent admin theme, hopefully getting the look back to how it was in part. Especially as the new look will freak some clients out!

4. David says:

Lee, I updated mine (yeah, it gets more updates than posts) and none of the 3 million plugins I have caused a problem. 2.5 is quite a smooth update in comparison to 2.3.

5. Sam says:

Thanks very much for that, Sarah. I’ll print those directions out and have them beside me when I upgrade (in a week or two). I think WP need to hire you to write their upgrade steps πŸ˜‰

Ooo I missed a step Sam. You also need to compare the wp-config.php file on the server with the wp-config-sample.php file in the new release, in case they’ve added anything else to it.

In this release they’ve added a secret key.

7. Anon says:

Reminds me to go and upgrade. Did anyone have any problems with it yet?

I’ve upgraded one client’s site to WP2.5 today. Besides the admin areas for plugins looking out of place as they don’t fit in with the new design, everything else has seemed fine. I’ve been making notes to I’ll be doing a pros and cons post soon.