Moving House, PayPal Donations and other stories…

It’s been about a month, I know. It’s been a long year already. I really miss blogging and everything keeps getting in the way, work mainly, but more recently my personal life has become quite busy, and not for the better.

This is very much a personal post.

We’ve been wanting to move house since Christmas 2007. This was the first winter in our new house and we discovered that it was majorly prone to damp. Mould covering all the outside walls, behind any furniture by an outside wall, creeping into the wardrobes, getting onto shoes etc. It was horrible, not to mention not good for either of our health. The summer wasn’t as bad, however a lack of space was getting to us too, but due to the amount of work I had we just put up with the house until March, when we decided we wanted to move.

After looking around we finally found somewhere we liked, somewhere big enough and affordable, and put out application in, in early June. The application was probably more stressful to deal with than the actual moving house. Firstly our payslips are brand new for the company and we’ve paid ourselves as little as possible to allow the company to actually build some profit to help pay for things or help if/when we have a not so good month of income, so our payslips didn’t reflect our true earnings. So we also offered our tax returns from last year (2008-09) which were more than appropriate, however the company doing the credit check on us didn’t have a clue about self assessments and continually asked us to supply information that we don’t get and therefore couldn’t supply. Then finally they seemed to accept the tax returns and then delayed things further with speaking to our current Landlord. We actually found out the day we had to hand our notice in to him that we had been accepted, meaning our written notice was actually a day late. So finally getting accepted on 18th June meant we could relax a little and begin to pack.

A week later we were due down at my parents as we were off to a party for my ex-boss and one of our clients, a party on a boat on the river Thames. However, on the Friday evening we found out that a good friend of ours, Khalid who owned Pixelcraze, had passed away at the age of 25. He’d had major surgery two weeks before, but we’d all relaxed as he was back home recovering well. Finding this out was probably the biggest shock I’ve had that I can remember. Khalid was an amazing and generous person, a fantastic PHP programmer, the person I would turn to when I got stuck, and just a great friend to chat with about photography, gardening and business. My heart goes out to his young wife and one year old daughter 🙁

Naturally we cancelled on going to the party, especially as I’d been awake all night, shell shocked. On the Sunday we drove home via my brother’s as he and his girlfriend had just had a baby boy, my first nephew. We got to meet him at 13 days old, probably the youngest baby I’ve ever been in the presence of. It was a brief moment of happiness amongst the grief of losing of a friend. Taryan (a Welsh name) is a gorgeous little boy and I’m so chuffed for my brother and my parents with their first grandchild.

The following week was a blur. The loss of a friend, the forthcoming (minor) stress of moving house, plus the happiness of a new nephew. Trying to get as much work completed when you’re really not with it isn’t easy. Last week we headed to Leicester to stay with some friends, and see how their one year old was doing (walking and always with a big smile on her face), and then on Tuesday we headed further east for the funeral. It was a hard day but an overwhelming number of people attended, just goes to show how many people had been affected by Khalid’s death.

We then travelled back home the same day, as my parents arrived on Wednesday to help us move. We managed to get home safely that night, but then the next day the car suddenly started to shake a great deal, really not what you need when about to move house! Luckily a garage fixed it the next day plus serviced it (as it was due), although £100 cost that we could have done without 🙁 On Friday we had a van hired for the day and got everything moved to the new house, leaving us with a week to clean the old house.

So we’re now in the new house and already much happier. The house itself is great. It’s detached (so no more being woken up at 6am and 7am by the screaming 2 year old next door), it has a garage which is great for extra storage space, and we have a conservatory, which is where we’ve sat to eat meals in, although it’s a little noisy when it rains. We’ve also got a family of baby blackbirds in the garden, funny to watch over breakfast.

We’ve got a bit more cleaning to do at the old house plus a bit of painting to tidy up a few areas, and then we can hand the keys back on Saturday and we should get all of our deposit back.

In the meantime Wedding plans are still going fine. I’ve just got a bit behind on getting the evening invites out and we need to start sorting a few more things out such as the rings.

So moving house on its own, not really too stressful, but with everything else combined in one week, well I’m glad the week is over. Now we can try to get back to a bit of normality (RIP Khalid).

8 Responses

  1. Sarah says:

    I just realised I never even got to the PayPal donations. I’ll do that another day!

  2. Sam says:

    It’s been one hell of a rollercoaster of emotions, but I hope now that you’re in your new home with a wedding to look forward to that things only start looking up for you both 🙂

    Khalid’s passing has been a massive blow for everyone that knew him. Like you I’d relaxed knowing he was back home and seemingly recovering well. I don’t think I will ever forget the day I found out he died. I miss him.

    Congrats on becoming an Aunt 🙂

  3. Sarah says:

    Cheers Sam, things are starting to look up, much happier now we’ve moved, despite box city! I miss Khalid too. It’s amazing how much someone becomes part of your daily life without you realising.

    Onwards and upwards, but never forgetting 🙂

  4. Hi Sarah ~ I am so sorry to hear about your month … and especially about your friend, Khalid.

    I hope your new home and new nephew bring you some happiness and smiles … please let me know if there’s ever anything I can do for you (you’ve been so helpful to me – I want you to know that!).

    Congrats on your upcoming wedding too! We just returned from our wedding in Tulum, Mexico. We had a blast … and the kids will never forget the trip (they’re already asking when we’ll go back LOL). *huGs* Suzanne

  5. Sarah says:

    Hi Suzanne, thanks for your comment. We’re much happier in the new home and I have a photo of my nephew on my mobile phone and my desktop wallpaper, so I smile whenever I see him 🙂

    Congratulations on the wedding, glad to hear you had a great time 😀

  6. hoi-yin says:

    Hi Sarah. It’s nice to read of the recent changes in your life. Sorry to hear of your friend who died so young at 25?! Also, congratulations on your new house, new nephew and all the best in your future wedding plans. We also recently have been starting to make plans to get wed, which is super! Greetings from Holland, Hoi-yin.

  7. Nicole Price says:

    You seem to have taken these ups and downs in your stride and have achieved a great deal too. I am sure that things will now settle down and you can plan for the big day with some peace of mind. All the best.