Married!

The day came and went, 31st October and now David and I are married. We spent a week in the Dominican Republic too. Now it’s time to get over the jetlag, partially back to work and partially getting a lot of admin sorted including getting my name changed everywhere!

Normal service should resume soon 🙂

1. Berg says:

Congrats to the both of you! Hope you guys had a great time there.

2. Congratz, Sarah!!

The most shocking part (for me) in your note is to learn that you were in MY country! I know we’re strangers (even when I use your “What Others Are Saying” script), but I’m sad that I didn’t know this beforehand to give you some advice or suggest some nice places that I know.

I truly hope you spend a good time in my country. We are very warm people and we have very nice places to stay, but I know that in the last years tourism industry has declined in quality. Please, let me know if you face any kind of problems in my country (you still have my personal email, don’t you?).

I wish you and your husband a life full of respect, achievements and joy!

3. Nicole Price says:

Congratulations. I wish both of you a happy and long married life full of joy. Look forward to more posts soon.

4. oyunlar says:

Congrats to the both of you! Hope you guys had a great time there.

5. Luc Arnold says:

Congrats on the marriage Sarah! How are you doing these days?

6. Laura says:

Congratulations! 🙂 I was in the Dominican Republic several years ago. It was lovely on the ocean, very hot if you went inland.

7. Getting married on halloween is a good idea. Not as sappy as valentines day but easy to remember also.

Are you a halloween person or was it just convenient?

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry for the late response, it’s been very hectic since getting back plus I’ve been ill, and now it’s christmas! Roll on the new year when life should be quieter I hope!

Dario – we stayed on the Riu hotel resort and felt pretty much restricted to it which was a shame as we’d have loved to see more of the island (we booked on an excursion but they never came to pick us up!). The people and the weather were great, but we never really got to sample local food or culture (restricted to what was cooked which didn’t appear very local!).

Luc – things are good thanks, just been a mad year with a lot of ups and downs. Looking forward to some time off over the next week plus planning for an exciting 2010 🙂 Hope you’re well!

Dwippy – we didn’t realise it was halloween until after we’d booked it. 31st October is just another day to me usually, of course not now, it’s my wedding anniversary 🙂

9. Well… I would have give you a word of caution on the Dominican cuisine “in the wild”. As tasty and versatile as it might be, it’s also risky to expose your organisms to such a blast in flavoring 🙂 Many tourists coming from the States, Canada or Europe get sick with the Dominican food –not because it’s bad, but soooo different that the reaction is sickness.

But it’s a total shame that you didn’t get the chance to go outside Riu. Most “all-inclusive” resorts will actually keep the visitors away from the real Dominican scene. For most of them that’s the best thing to do, as a “gringo” venturing alone in the DR is a sure call for “helping guys” looking for dollars.

If you ever get back here and feel adventurous to go out on your own, I would suggest you don’t go to a beach All Inclusive hotel, but to a City Hotel (in Santo Domingo or Santiago) and start from there. Many hotels have professional tourism personnel to guide you to many places, and you always have Fodor’s and Lonely Planet guides to the Dominican Republic, which I find to be a good read before and during the trip. And, of course, having someone local in the DR is probably a good idea too, so you can count on me for that if you ever come back here 🙂 My country is amazingly beautiful and fun, and the people is so nice 😀

10. Matt says:

Congrats!
    I hope you two are super-duper-happy for a long, long, looooonnnnnggg time.

🙂

11. Great news, congratulations!

Thanks all. Darío I agree, your country is beautiful from what we saw during the brief bus ride to the airport! If we do come back then I’ll definitely get your advice first!

13. JGB says:

Congrats just completing your six months of being married! Hope you are enjoying it.